This time of the year has us reaching for all the comfort food. So we decided to put a Little Wicomico Oyster twist on an old favorite with this oyster and cheesy grits recipe. The recipe is oh-so-simple but plates beautifully, making it a great one to share with family and friends around the holiday months.
The best part? The recipe uses our Little Wicomico pre-shucked, jarred oysters, so we already did some of the work for you. The oysters are plump and delicious, making it easy to wow company without having to do all the shucking. Our oysters are caught fresh off the shore of Virginia and shucked daily by our crew – as we like to say, a taste of the Chesapeake right to your door.
Alright, let’s get cooking!
For the Oysters
- 1 quart Little Wicomico Jarred Oysters, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped, reserve some green for garnish
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
For the Grits
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick grits
- 1/2 cup milk (as needed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil the water with salt and add grits. Turn the heat to low and stir until the grits are cooked.
- Add the butter and cheese and mix until the cheese is melted thoroughly. If needed, you can thin the grits with milk when ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the chopped bacon a bit. Then, add the onions and bell peppers, cooking until slightly tender.
- Add the garlic and green onion and stir in until combined. Add the drained oysters and cook until the gills are curly and liquid reduces by half.
- Spoon the grits into a bowl and top with the sauteed oyster mixture. Garnish with the reserved chopped green onions and enjoy!