- 12 oysters
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup (tomato sauce)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes tabasco (optional)
- 3 slices smoked bacon (3 rashers streaky bacon - approx 3oz/90g)
- rock salt to cook on, depending on cooking method
1. Begin by shucking the oysters, discarding the top of the shell.
2. Place each oyster in the bottom cup-like part of the shell, ensuring the oyster is loosened if attached.
3. Any excess liquid and remove pieces of shell or grit that have fallen in during opening. a separate bowl, mix together tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and tabasco (if desired, see notes for quantities) and set aside.
4. Finely chop the bacon into thin strips, cutting larger pieces in half if necessary.
5. Warm a small skillet or frying pan and cook the bacon until it is cooked and starting to crisp/brown. If cooking on a grill or BBQ, place the oysters on scrunched foil or in their original container to keep them level.
6. Alternatively, if using an oven/broiler, place rock salt in a baking dish or on a baking sheet, creating a holder for the salt using foil if the dish is too large.
7. Nestle the oysters in the salt to keep them level, or use a layer of scrunched up foil. Spoon roughly one teaspoon of the sauce over each oyster, then top with a few pieces of bacon, ensuring they are well covered (exact amounts depend on the size of the oyster).